Friday, June 13, 2008

Quilts as Therapy?

Yes, there are more quilt tops I actually need to quilt. Do you see a pattern of procrastination with the quilting process here? There's a really good reason for this....my husband is planning on buying a Gammill longarm quilter for me....and I'm really excited about it. I have no reason not to quilt now, too, though....I do have a Juki and a Grace frame....but alas, I haven't yet! :)



This quilt is one of my all-time favorites. I thought about making a red, white and black quilt for the longest time before I actually did it....just couldn't come up with anything that "grabbed" me enough...lol. I could have done the typical Turning 20 and it would have been cute.....or I could have done the Yellow Brick Road, and I would have loved it.....but I wanted something just a little bit more intricate. I went to a LQS when we lived in northwestern Illinois, and I saw the quilt, right there, hanging on the wall....and wouldn't you just know it, they were having a class. The sample quilt was done in Civil War repros...which I really like, but didn't care for in this particular quilt...lol....but I was sure it would work for what I had in mind. I signed up for the class (which was a total blast) and bought my fabrics. Once again, what I planned to be a small quilt turned out BIG....that seems to be a pattern with me, too. I don't know why!! :) I went back 3 times to buy more fabrics for this quilt, because I wanted to make it bigger and bigger....when I got it done....I bought more red, white and black to make another one! :) I call this organized crazy quilting, and it's an awesome pattern.

I think this is the pattern (hope I can put this on here, I'm not sure!):
I know this is is the designer of the pattern....I bought almost all of the patterns because I love them so much! The one I did is a freezer paper stack and whack type quilt, very easy, very quick and very fun!! I love the way it turned out. What do you think??



This quilt is a mindless project I started when my husband and I were planning our move to Missouri. All of my immediate family (including my 2 adult children) lives in Illinois...and I was having some trouble adjusting to the thought of moving so far away. I had seen my children almost every day of their lives, even after they moved out of my house......and my daughter had a baby...my first grandchild, Robbie. I knew I used quilting as therapy, so I went into the quilting room and pulled purple charms and fabrics from my stash, my daughter's favorite color....and just randomly sewed them together....with one exception. I used one "charm" (had yards and yards of the fabric) throughout the quilt consistently....all the rest were hap-hazardly placed. I don't know if I will ever use this quilt, but I probably will finish it up one day.

I have been swapping fabric "charms" with friends for years and years. I have quite a "stash" of charms...lol. I hadn't used them much, other than occasionally cutting them out for dresden plates.....or hexagons for GFG quilts. This was a day I actually began using those charms. I don't think I've done another "charm" quilt since this one.....at least not yet....and I suppose that's a good thing....lol!



This is my "original" therapy quilt. I had several charms cut (for swaps) I was involved in with friends, and these were the fabrics that I had purchased. Whenever I did swaps, I made it a practice to buy a yard or even 2 yards of the fabric, and cut it all up into the swap size, whether 5 inch squares, 6 inch squares or even 6.5 inch squares....so I always had TONS leftover. I didn't know why I did that, other than to build up my charm "stash" I suppose. I had these fabrics sitting on my cutting board, having just swapped pastels with one of the Yahoo groups I'm involved in.....when I got the call from my mom.... My cousin, Norman, who is 11 months older than I am (and I'm not THAT old), died of a heart attack, in his early 40's. I went through quite a myriad of emotions....first shock, then grief....and then the part that surprised even me, a reality check. This cousin is ONLY 11 months older than I am, and I am too young to die! I just randomly started sewing blocks together....I don't even remember starting the quilt....I didn't plan it with my conscious mind, I was sewing strips of 6.5 inch charms together, with absolutely no plans whatsoever.

While I sewed, I remembered all of the good times...and the bad times.... When we were children, my uncle, his wife, and their 2 children (my cousins) lived only about 1-1/2 blocks away from us....and we spent a lot of time together...going to school, playing...and even going on vacations together. We were together for every holiday as a family. This was a very close relationship...almost like a brother during those years. Well, time has a way of changing things...and as we all grew up, we grew apart. Norm began semi-truck driving....and ended up living in Michigan. I was still in Illinois then.....and we didn't really have any contact. When the call came in that he had died, I grieved for him....but also for all of the missed time. He had 2 beautiful little girls that I didn't even know! I had 3 children that he didn't know! That's almost a crime, how did we let that happen?

By the time I left for the funeral, I had the strips all sewn together, and there was a definite pattern to it......guess it was a subconscious thing, because I was most definitely NOT planning a quilt, I was working through a lot of emotion. When we got back from the funeral, I did put the quilt together, but stopped at midpoint. I finished it up after we moved to Missouri, in fact, just last year, several years later. This is another one that I will probably finish. My daughter wants this quilt in the worst way......but I'm still hanging onto it for now....lol....



And last, but definitely not least is my SunBonnet Sue quilt....and it's a cheater quilt! :) Yep, quilter's cheat sometimes...lol. I bought this as a kit, pieces all cut out for me, at a fabric store. I have always adored SunBonnet Sue....but for some unknown reason, I never put it together. Probably afraid of the BIG A word....applique!! :) Toto, we're not in Kansas, anymore....lol....I would have to applique (!!???!!!) this quilt to finish it up. Well.....here I was in Missouri....yep, it's another therapy quilt with a twist....I also wanted to learn to applique. I finally had the bug. My daughter, son-in-law and their little one moved to Missouri when we did, which was a huge blessing. Unfortunately, things didn't work out for them here and they moved back to Illinois. That was really, really hard on me. I understood it was something they needed to do.....but I was being selfish....I needed them here. Couldn't change anything, though.....so I started a quilt. Go figure! :) I really didn't want to cut anything out, definitely wasn't in the mood for that.....was doing a bit of crying off and on, feeling pretty sorry for myself......so I decided that I needed a distraction, and applique could be just that distraction. I went digging and found my SBS (SunBonnet Sue) quilt kit, all pre-cut. I got it out and decided that if other quilters could machine applique, so could I! I played with the stitches on my little Janome MC4800 quilting/sewing machine until I found the blanket stitch. I didn't know what it was called, but I knew what I wanted the blocks to look like.....so off I went....venturing into the world of applique.
Guess what? I love it! :) The fabric in this kit most definitely isn't the best.....the applique on this quilt is most definitely NOT the best.....but it was fun, I did it...and I actually like it. It also isn't quilted!! :) Yep, a definite pattern.
Well, I enjoyed this trip down memory lane. I feel like I could teach a class on the benefits of quilting as therapy....and I've saved my husband thousands of dollars in therapist bills....plus I have some lovely quilts....who could ask for more?
Until next time,
Quiltingcheri

No comments: