Saturday, August 30, 2008

Started a new nursing job....and dead on my feet!

Hi everyone out there in blog land. I haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought I would change that today. I started a new job about 2 weeks ago, which is why I've been so quiet. I *thought* I would love to go back to obstetrics as a nurse, working in the well-baby and level II nursery, sometimes on the postpartum floor doing couplet care (mom and new well baby)....and while it sounds really good, whew, I'm beat!! :(

I have quickly discovered that the new job, working 12-hour shifts (something I'm no longer used to doing) is quite an undertaking, and I'm not totally sure that I am up to it! I feel like I work in a baby factory....because of the huge volume of babies delivered and just trying to keep up with all of the work. I have yet to get a break in the 4 days I have been at the hospital in clinical orientation....and without that break to refresh, it's just too hard to keep up. I am hoping I will learn to keep the pace, but I'm not overly optimistic...I think I am too old for this type of schedule/workload, and I didn't think I would EVER hear myself saying that. Truthfully, I have a pretty high energy level and can accomplish an amazing amount in a day, but I feel like a failure at work because I have yet to keep up well.....I get everything done by the end of the shift, but it's like a mad race to the finish line on a daily basis..... I am off today, simply exhausted...too tired to even think about quilting, and that's just TOO tired! :(

Until we chat again,
quiltingcheri

1 comment:

Hunter said...

I can't even imagine how you do your job. It's amazing to me how fast people leave after having a baby. I can understand your comment about a "baby factory." It would seem it would be hard to connect with anyone.

I'm finding out that I have to change my schedule even when I set my own.

I'm also finding I don't quite "bounce back" as quickly as I used to.

I know those in your care appreciate you...even if they don't get much time to tell you. :)

Best regards.
Darilyn